Welcome back. Today, we’re taking a little bit of a detour to talk about entrepreneurship. Or, maybe it’s not such a detour, given the number of lawyers who end up creating solo practices or small firms, or who leave the law entirely to start new businesses!
If you are looking to start your own business or create a side hustle, tune in!
In this episode we discuss:
- Why everyone should think of themselves as an entrepreneur, even if they have a steady paycheck
- Why every BigLaw lawyer should read The 4-Hour Workweek
- Lee and Alison discuss their paths to entrepreneurship
- Why it might be a terrible idea to build a business around what you love to do
- Strategies for getting your business or side hustle off the ground
- How technology can make it easier to start a new business
- Books that we found helpful on the entrepreneurial path
- When it makes sense to work with a business or life coach
- Resources for raising funding for your new endeavor
- Why community matters if you want to be an entrepreneur (and how to build your community)
To listen now, just click on the arrow button above.
- The Startup of You by Reid Hoffman
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
- Brene Brown books
- Finding Your Own North Star by Martha Beck
- $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau
- Birthing the Elephant: The Woman’s Go-For-It Guide to Overcoming the Big Challenges of Launching a Business
- Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time by Harold Schultz
- Steve Jobs Biography
People to Follow
- Rachel Rogers, The Small Business Bodyguard
- Chris Guillebeau
- Ramit Sethi, I Will Teach You To Be Rich
- Marie Forleo
- Pat Flynn, Smart Passive Income
- Meg Keene
- Seth Godin
- Tim Ferris
Resources for Raising Capital
- Podcast: Seth Godin Tells Lawyers How to Make Art and Start a Ruckus
- CodeX FutureLaw Conference at Stanford University
- Upwork (for outsourcing)
- Harvard Business Review Emails
Download the Transcript
Prefer to read? Download the episode transcript.
Did You Like It?
And feel free to reach out to us directly! You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website. If you’ve got burning law school questions, let us know! We’re always looking for great content ideas, so maybe we’ll answer your question in a future episode.
And you can always listen to other episodes on the main Law School Toolbox podcast page.
Thanks for listening!
Looking for some help to do your best in law school? Find out about our law school tutoring options.