Welcome back! Today, we’re answering the top questions we get from incoming 1Ls and we’re talking about the bottom line: money. For many people, talking about money is taboo, uncouth, or just uncomfortable, but if you’re planning to go to law school, it better be a key factor in your decision-making process. You got into law school, but how are you going to pay for it? The financial decisions you make now can have rippling effects long after graduation.
In this episode we discuss:
- When you should take scholarship money over a more prestigious, but more expensive, school
- When and how to negotiate your scholarship offers
- The reality of student loans: how much should you take out, disbursement, repayment, and the impact of interest
- Alternative sources of loans and scholarships, and getting support from your “village”
- How to budget as a law student
- Thrifty life hacks and side hustles to save money and get paid in law school
- What’s reasonable and necessary with respect to bar expenses and bar loans
To listen now, just click on the arrow button above.
- Start Law School Right Course
- You Need a Budget
- How Are You Managing Your Household Finances? (Article about You Need a Budget app)
- Ahead of the Curve: Take the Money or Take a Gamble? Should a Scholarship Determine Which School You Attend?
- Ahead of the Curve: The Power of Negotiation: When Should I Negotiate My Law School Scholarship Offer?
- 5 Money Saving Apps for Law Students
- Everything You Need to Know about Law School Scholarships
- Podcast Episode 87: Affordable Bar Prep & Social Entrepreneurship with Chris Henjum of Esqyr.com
- Podcast Episode 38: Can You Really Afford Law School?
Download the Transcript
Prefer to read? Download the episode transcript.
Did You Like It?
And feel free to reach out to us directly! You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website. If you’ve got burning law school questions, let us know! We’re always looking for great content ideas, so maybe we’ll answer your question in a future episode.
And you can always listen to other episodes on the main Law School Toolbox podcast page.
Thanks for listening!
Looking for some help to do your best in law school? Find out about our law school tutoring options.