Welcome back! Today, we’re talking with Keri Clapp, professor and tutor for the Law School Toolbox and Bar Exam Toolbox, about important considerations to keep in mind as you make the transition from undergrad to law school. Keri, who teaches at both the undergraduate and law school level, offers her unique perspective to help us bring to light the key differences so you know what’s in store.
In this episode we discuss:
- Differences between undergrad and law school teaching methods, course materials, and study habits
- How struggling with the material is normal and part of the learning process
- What it means to “think like a lawyer”
- Overcoming the initial resistance to, and awkwardness of, legal writing
- Understanding social and lifestyle differences
- Informational interviews and other ways to get a taste for what it’s really like to be a law student and a lawyer before you take the plunge
- The importance of knowing yourself and your learning style
To listen now, just click on the arrow button above.
- Podcast Episode 1: Mindset – The Key to Success in Law School?
- Podcast Episode 43: Getting Mentally Prepared to Start Law School
- Podcast Episode 7: Time and Life Management Basics
- Podcast Episode 17: Where to Get Help in Law School
- Podcast Episode 2: Why Is Law School Hard?
- Ginsberg, Ruth Bader. My Own Words. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2016.
- Toobin, Jeffrey. The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court. New York: Anchor Books, 2008.
- Vance, J.D. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, 2016.
- Woodward, Bob. The Brethren: Inside the Supreme Court. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2005.
Download the Transcript
Prefer to read? Download the episode transcript.
Did You Like It?
And feel free to reach out to us directly! You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website. If you’ve got burning law school questions, let us know! We’re always looking for great content ideas, so maybe we’ll answer your question in a future episode.
And you can always listen to other episodes on the main Law School Toolbox podcast page.
Thanks for listening!
Looking for some help to do your best in law school? Find out about our law school tutoring options.