Welcome to the Law School Toolbox podcast! Today we’ve got a special episode for you. We are honored to be talking with several volunteer lawyers who sprung into action at airports around the country, helping people caught up in the chaos that ensued after President Trump issued his executive order on immigration. This executive order, issued at the close of business on Friday, January 27th, 2017 resulted in a slew of deportations and detentions of travelers who were traveling with what they thought were valid visas. It’s also generated a number of emergency injunctions in federal courts around the country. Tune in to hear what the situation was like on the ground, and how lawyers and law students can get involved to help.
In this episode we discuss:
- Interviews with lawyers on the front lines: Sarah Sherman Stokes, Professor at Boston University School of Law volunteering with students in Boston, and Cindy Grossman, law firm tax partner volunteering at Newark Airport
- What was really going on at the airports and in the courts
- How lawyers got involved and self-organized a response
- How lawyers can, and did, help, even if they have other areas of substantive expertise
- The challenges of getting information to travelers who might need help
- What information, if any, lawyers were able to get about people being detained
- Classes to can take if you are interested in immigration law, and activities to participate in
- The value of law school clinics for building confidence and legal skills
- Issues that immigrants face, beyond just immigration
- How law students and lawyers can get involved and help
- The importance of lawyers brushing up on their general civil rights skills
- What it’s like to fight the good fight in difficult situations
To listen now, just click on the arrow button above.
- Lawyers for Good Government Website
- Lawyers for Good Government Facebook Page
- No Ban USA
- No Ban USA (for JFK)
- No Ban USA (for Newark)
- Help the Lawyers Twitter
- Free Law Project – Airport Cases
- How Lawyers are Using Tech to Fight for Justice in US Airports
- These are the Attorneys Fighting Trump’s Immigration Ban at Airports Around the Country
Download the Transcript
Prefer to read? Download the episode transcript.
Did You Like It?
And feel free to reach out to us directly! You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website. If you’ve got burning law school questions, let us know! We’re always looking for great content ideas, so maybe we’ll answer your question in a future episode.
And you can always listen to other episodes on the main Law School Toolbox podcast page.
Thanks for listening!
Looking for some help to do your best in law school? Find out about our law school tutoring options.