Welcome back to the Law School Toolbox podcast! This is another episode in our “Listen and Learn” series, where we review legal concepts and apply them to fact patterns. Today, we’re focusing on subject matter jurisdiction from Civil Procedure.
In this episode we discuss:
- Review of the basic concept of jurisdiction
- Constructing an attack plan for Civil Procedure
- The two types of actions that federal courts have jurisdiction over
- The difference between citizenship and domicile for people (and corporations)
- Analyzing two Civ Pro essay questions, from the February 2009 and July 2012 California bar exams
- Laws that tie into subject matter jurisdiction — supplemental jurisdiction and aggregation of claims
Thanks for listening!
To listen now, just click on the arrow button above.
- Tutoring for Law School Success
- California Bar Examination – Essay Questions and Selected Answers, February 2009
- California Bar Examination – Essay Questions and Selected Answers, July 2012
- Podcast Episode 215: Listen and Learn – The Commerce Clause
- Podcast Episode 218: Listen and Learn – Supplemental Jurisdiction (Civ Pro)
- Podcast Episode 244: Listen and Learn – Negligence Per Se
- Podcast Episode 245: Listen and Learn – Promissory Estoppel
- Podcast Episode 248: Listen and Learn – Introduction to Homicide
- Podcast Episode 257: Listen and Learn – The “Reasonable Person” Standard
- Podcast Episode 259: Listen and Learn – Relevance in Evidence
- Podcast Episode 261: Listen and Learn – The Basics of Hearsay
- Favorite Civil Procedure Supplement: Anything by Professor Glannon
- 1L Tip Sheets – Civil Procedure Terms
Prefer to read?
Did You Like It?
If you enjoy the podcast, we’d love a nice review and/or rating on Apple Podcasts or your favorite listening app. And feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website. If you’re concerned about the bar exam, check out our sister site, the Bar Exam Toolbox. You can also sign up for our weekly podcast newsletter to make sure you never miss an episode!
Thanks for listening!
Looking for some help to do your best in law school? Find out about our law school tutoring options.