Welcome back to the Law School Toolbox podcast! Today we’re talking with ex-BigLaw recruiter, Sadie Jones, about what to do if OCI didn’t go as planned, and you didn’t end up with a summer associate offer for your 2L summer. All is not lost!
In this episode, we discuss:
- Whether you can get a BigLaw summer associate position if you didn’t get one through OCI
- Can you ask for feedback from the firm – officially or even unofficially – as to why you didn’t get an offer?
- Taking a long hard look at the potential deficiencies in your application – is it your grades? Your interview skills? Fix them and try again!
- Is this a blessing in disguise? How to use this as a growth opportunity or as a second chance to really evaluate if BigLaw is where you want to be
- Talking to career services – they often get a bad rap but they’re the first one firms go to if they need to hire more summer associates
- Hustle – if you really want this, you’re going to have to work for it – network, make coffee dates, get creative
- At the end of the day – find some kind of legal job even if it’s unpaid
Thanks for listening!
- Podcast Episode 132: What’s BigLaw Really Like? (w/Sadie Jones)
- Podcast Episode 147: Top Summer Associate Mistakes and How to Fix Them (w/Sadie Jones)
- CareerDicta Career Coaching
- Podcast Episode 126: How to Get People to Help with Your Job Search (w/Sadie Jones)
- Hey, Law Students: Here’s How You Network
- Say “Yes!”
Episode Transcript: Download the Transcript
To listen now, just click on the arrow button above.
If you enjoy the podcast, we’d love a nice review and/or rating on Apple Podcasts. You can also download an episode or subscribe to the podcast on Google Play. And feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website. If you’re interested in bar exam topics, check out our sister site, the Bar Exam Toolbox.
You can also sign up for our weekly podcast newsletter to make sure you never miss an episode!
Thanks for listening!
Looking for some help to do your best in law school? Find out about our law school tutoring options.