Today, we’re talking with a former law firm recruiter about the basics of OCI, or on-campus interviewing. OCI is the process by which most large law firms, and some medium-sized law firms and public interest organizations recruit their summer associates and hire full-time lawyers.
There are many steps to the process, and it is time-consuming and can be energetically draining, so we’re discussing what you can expect, and how you can put your best foot forward with an experienced BigLaw recruiter. If you’re planning to participate in your school’s OCI program, tune in!
In this episode we discuss:
- What a summer associate position is, and why they are highly sought after
- The basic process of initial interviews and callback interviews
- Strategically bidding for an interview
- What law firms are really looking for
- How to prepare for an initial interview, what to expect, and what to wear
- Callback logistics: What happens in a callback interview? What if you have to travel?
- How should geography play into your interviewing decisions?
- Factors to consider when selecting an offer
- How to ensure you DON’T get an offer
Thanks for listening!
To listen now, just click on the arrow button above.
- Podcast Episode 3: Mastering the On-Campus Interviewing (OCI) Process
- Podcast Episode 4: Callback Tips for BigLaw Summer Associate Positions
- Podcast Episode 55: An Overview of BigLaw On-Campus Interviewing
- Podcast Episode 85: Surviving as a Summer Associate and New Firm Lawyer (with Grover Cleveland)
- Ahead of the Curve: What are BigLaw Recruiters Really Looking For?
- How to Prepare for OCI Interviews
- Dressing Like a Lawyer on a Student’s Budget
Download the Transcript
Prefer to read? Download the episode transcript.
Did You Like It?
And feel free to reach out to us directly! You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website. If you’ve got burning law school questions, let us know! We’re always looking for great content ideas, so maybe we’ll answer your question in a future episode.
And you can always listen to other episodes on the main Law School Toolbox podcast page.
Thanks for listening!
Looking for some help to do your best in law school? Find out about our law school tutoring options.