Welcome back! Today, we’re talking with Ashley Matthews, Program Manager for Law School Engagement and Advocacy at Equal Justice Works, about preparing for a career in public interest work. Public interest is a competitive field to break into, and it comes with its own unique set of challenges. If you’ve decided you want to pursue a career in public interest law, this episode is a must-listen!
In this episode we discuss:
- The challenges facing people who seek a career in public interest law
- Options for managing student loan debt for people in public interest careers
- Competitiveness in the public interest field
- What public interest employers are looking for
- Programs offered by Equal Justice Works for law students, recent grads, and more experienced lawyers
- The current controversy over validity of student loan forgiveness program approval letters
- The future of loan forgiveness and assistance programs
- Which law schools have LRAPs, and how to start one at your law school
Thanks for listening!
To listen now, just click on the arrow button above.
- Podcast Episode 38: Can You Really Afford Law School?
- Equal Justice Works Fellowships
- Equal Justice Works Rural Summer Legal Corps Program
- Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps JD
- Podcast Episode 92: Top 1L Questions: The Money Edition
- Podcast Episode 96: How to Rapidly Pay Off Law School Debt (with Guest Financial Panther)
- Equal Justice Works Free Student Debt Webinars
- Cowley, Stacy. “Student Loan Forgiveness Program Approval Letters May Be Invalid, Education Dept. Says.” N.Y. Times, Mar. 30, 2017.
- John R. Justice Student Loan Repayment Program
- Law School LRAPs
- How to Get to Know Your Professors in Law School
- Equal Justice Works 2017 Conference and Career Fair
- Equal Justice Works on Twitter
Download the Transcript
Prefer to read? Download the episode transcript.
Did You Like It?
And feel free to reach out to us directly! You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website. If you’ve got burning law school questions, let us know! We’re always looking for great content ideas, so maybe we’ll answer your question in a future episode.
And you can always listen to other episodes on the main Law School Toolbox podcast page.
Thanks for listening!
Looking for some help to do your best in law school? Find out about our law school tutoring options.