Let’s be honest — it’s a tough market out there. That’s why we’re introducing a new series: Job Hunting 101. We’ll cover the basics, but also tell you the stuff no one else is going to tell you. Starting right now…newsflash, getting a job has very little do with how awesome you are. So shut up about it.
The Real Question: What Can You Do For Me?
Here’s the harsh reality (or an important life lesson, depending on how you want to look at it): No one who’s hiring actually cares about YOU. They care about what YOU can do for THEM.
- Seriously, internalize this. It’s the basis of everything else we’ll share with you.
Repeat after me:
It’s not about me. It’s about what I can do for them.
Got it? Good.
No one is going to pay you for being a cool person. They’re not going to pay you for being smart. They’re not going to pay you for graduating from a fancy law school, or having great grades.
- They’re going to pay you because you can solve a problem for them.
That’s where your value lies.
If you’re not totally demoralized at this point, keep reading.
- Understanding that you have to provide value will open many doors.
Yeah, it’s not all bad news.
On the contrary, if you start to relentless identify problems that you’re qualified to solve, opportunities will open up. Because you’re in the right mindset, you’ll be able to explain how you personally can provide value — value that someone will pay for.
Once you can do that, you’re well on your way! And, not coincidentally, you’ll probably end up doing just fine for your awesome self in the end…
— – —
Job Hunting 101
Here’s all of Job Hunting 101:
- Job Hunting 101: It’s Not All About You
- Job Hunting 101: Project a Consistent Image
- Job Hunting 101: Don’t Neglect Your Headshot
- Job Hunting 101: What Makes You Unique?
- Job Hunting 101: Google Yourself
- Job Hunting 101: Did You Know Your Law School May Pay for Conferences?
- Job Hunting 101: Get Out and Meet People
- Job Hunting 101: Be Careful Who Your Facebook Friends Are
- Job Hunting 101: Follow Up
Are you on our mailing list? Sign up now!
What would you like career help with? Leave suggestions in the comments!
Looking for some help to do your best in law school? Find out about our law school tutoring options.